Monday, August 19, 2013

comments from my show choir instructors

i like to share the comments made by the instructors. they posted them on my show choir facebook group.

first of all, mr john khoo. he is the director of singapore show choir academy. and he was our vocals instructor last year.

hey guys, though i didn't really teach you for this competition, but i really think that you guys can hold your heads up high.

To achieve what you did with a smaller choir is amazing. and whats most important is the amount of teamwork i observed when i was backstage. I love the fact that all of you were all encouraging each other, some of you were helping doreen out, and forever keeping on those encouraging smiles.

to go far, a choir needs to have teamwork, and i see that in TPSS. You have amazing teachers in charge. I have never seen anyone as dedicated than Mr Cher Tan Yuanyan. You have amazing choir mates, amazing student leaders, and very passionate instructors in Amin Alifin & Deniece Grace.

lets work hard to get 25 new sec 1s in next year!

meanwhile, study hard for your tests! and i hope to see you all soon as well.



secondly, mr amin, who did the choreography for our competition piece.

Just wanted to say you guys were amazing just now!!! I feel like a proud father watching my kids perform so well after several episodes of advising and even scolding haha..

oh! there were several people from other schools who felt that you guys should won the best choreography and overall best show choir! 

Lastly, thank you to everyone of you who made my choreography alive! You may not be the best from the judges point of view, but you're the best to me and several others who are more important in your life:) Have a good break BUT don't forget to keep working as hard or even harder.

Hope to see everyone in the near future. I feel blessed to have cross pathed with you guys.



and lastly, miss deniece, our resident choreographer, creative director and vocals instructor.

some comments from the audience:
"I cried when I saw the looks on their face... so hungry... so cold..."
"For me, The show began when TPSS show choir performed"
"This choir has 'heart'... and that's half the battle won."

TPSS, we've come a long way... from the start of the year when Mr Amin and I went to watch Les Mis and were inspired by the songs in the show. Mr Amin particularly liked "At The End of the Day". We took a gamble and tried out this genre of music which we have not tried before.

But TPSS, you have shown every one that good sound can come from a smaller choir. We are almost half the size of Regent and Serangoon. AND WE GOT A DIAMOND AWARD and most popular show choir.

I could go on forever because it is not enough to appreciate the whole choir, but I have something to say to each one of you personally (and I'll do it face to face).

I want to thank Cher Tan Yuanyan for your dedication and sacrifice, the many late days trying to make the props, settle the costumes etc... And for GREAT LEADERSHIP. With little knowledge of what music is, you even try to sing alot with the Alto section to help them be on pitch. Mr Tan, your heart for the kids is so valuable. I am full of praises and respect for You and Ms Eudora Tan.

Mr Amin Alifin, thank you for your awesome choreography and for pushing the choir to be precise in their movement, and even adding so many textures and layers (like falling down). It really brought out the song. Your believe that they could do it helped them believe that they could too. You've also inspired me as a choreographer to be daring and try many things that is beyond what I could have done. Thank you for being there yesterday. It was such a morale booster.

Mr John Khoo, Though you have not been involved with TPSS on a weekly basis, but I know that you care about the show choir as much as I do. Thank you for being there to hear me rant about my frustrations and your constant advice on how to make the choir sound better. Thank you for believing in TPSS and for your last min vocal coaching yesterday. You were crucial in our success too.

Lastly... TPSS Show Choir... YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME THE MOST. Competition is always stressful and takes along time to prepare, but I've seen in you - resilience, passion, determination, focus, humility and willingness and teamwork. These values should be passed down when the next batch comes. Please know that I am very very proud of you. And you all have what it takes to go far not only in performing arts, but also to go far in life.


reading their comments can make me cry. mine will come next. :)